Monday, January 24, 2011

Green with envy for glowing skin?

I thought I'd share a little bit of green beauty advice for anyone suffering from skin issues due to cold weather. Winter generally leaves me with dry & angry skin, and I think I've finally figured out how to deal with it. Something I've learned? Minor acne in the winter is likely caused by dry skin building up in your pores. The natural urge to spread nuclear-strength pimple poison all over it will just make it worse, trust me.

Get yourself an oil-free moisturizer, and don't just use it on your cheeks! Even if your T-zone seems greasy, it might actually be thirsty and overcompensating by getting shiny. My new favourite is called Garnier Moisture Rescue gel-cream. It's got natural antioxidants like vitamin E and grapeseed, both of which are helpful when you've got last night's alcohol seething out your pores. Bonus? I will definitely re-use the cute glass jar it comes in.

I definitely recommend washing your face only at night, and with a gentle cleanser. Again, it goes against the instinct to wage war on troubled skin with scrubs and acne wash twice a day, but sometimes you gotta show your skin the "iron fist in a velvet glove" kind of discipline. That's where I turn to Lush's Mask of Magnaminty. I've been a huge fan of Lush's no-packaging beauty products since high school. Used once a week on clogged zones, this mask does a serious clean up but doesn't over dry - just make sure to follow up with the moisturizer.

I've never really considered eating a special diet for my skin. I love food too much to change my habits, and I'm generally more of a hands-on type (I'd rather pop or slough away the top layer of my epidermis). I have found one food that really works miracles, though : avocado. I promise you, the healthy fats and vitamins in a ripe avocado will have your skin clear and glowing faster than you can say "guacamole". This remedy is worth trying, even if only for the snack value!


2 ripe avocados, mashed

1 lime, juiced

1/2 small onion, finely chopped

1/4 cup salsa or chopped tomatoes

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 tablespoon coriander

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment